I felt tired and chilly, so I opened the Lona box and made a withdrawal. I ordered groceries from Store to Door for delivery tomorrow. I expect Lu to arrive in about an hour to help me with my shower. Hugs to all!! My thoughts and prayers go out to to the victims of the terrorist attacks in Brussels, that have killed at least 30 and wounded at least 230, and to all their loved ones. I am not covering it as a news item today, except to make this statement and condemn all political violence, especially when it hijacks religion.
Jig Zone Puzzle:
Today’s took me 4:43 (average 7:24). To do it, click here. How did you do?
From Daily Kos: I’m a Bernie supporter. I canvassed for him. I phone-banked for him. I have contributed $2,100 to his campaign so far, and plan to keep giving until either I hit the maximum or he is no longer in the race. Have I established my bonafides?
I am not, however, an absolutist. I recognize politics is a win or lose proposition and, in the end, we often have to support the better of the two options, even if they are not the options I would want. In other words, if Bernie loses, I will be canvassing for Hillary, phone banking for her, and shifting my contributions to her.
Here are a few numbers that explain why:
- 17 million: The number of people who will lose their health insurance if Hillary or Bernie is not elected.
- 2: The number of Supreme Court Justices who will likely be named in the next four years. That amount is high enough that it will lock SCOTUS in either a conservative or liberal position for decades.
- 4.75: The minimum amount per hour that people working for minimum wage will not receive for at least through 2021.
- 33: The percent of women who will seek an abortion sometime in their lives who will not be able to obtain one because Republicans will be in power in all three branches of government.
- 1: The minimum number of international accords on controlling climate change that the United States will abrogate
I don’t have the author’s bonafides, because I lack his time, mobility, and resources, but I fully agree with him. Click through for the rest of the list.
From NY Times: The Justice Department said on Monday that it might no longer need Apple’s assistance in opening an iPhone used by a gunman in the San Bernardino, Calif., rampage last year.
The disclosure led a judge to postpone a court hearing over the issue and temporarily sidesteps what has become a bitter clash with the world’s most valuable company.
In a new court filing, the government said an outside party had demonstrated a way for the F.B.I. to possibly unlock the phone used by the gunman, Syed Rizwan Farook. The hearing in the contentious case — Apple has loudly opposed opening the iPhone, citing privacy concerns and igniting a heated debate — was originally set for Tuesday.
Donation requests have been going around, claiming to have forced the FBI back down. They forced nothing. Such scam requests should not be rewarded. Finding another way to hack the phone is not backing down. It isn’t even a win, unless their activity keeps our cell phone privacy secure. It clearly has not done so. Left wing organizations who use lies to solicit money are acting like Republicans. Boycott them.
From Crooks and Liars: Once again, we turn to the inimitable Samantha Bee to make sense out of the senseless Republicans’ need to obstruct President Obama’s Supreme Court nomination.
I may start calling her Samantha Bingo.